- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 cup good olive oil
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the Salad
- 2 heads Belgian endive
- 1/2 cup walnut or pecan halves, toasted
- 1/4 pound French Roquefort cheese, 1/2-inch-diced
- 1 sweet red apple, unpeeled, cored and medium-diced
- 4 ounces baby arugula
- 1 orange
In a small bowl, whisk together the orange zest, orange juice, olive oil, vinegar, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/3 teaspoon pepper. Set aside.
Cut the heads of endive in half lengthwise, remove the triangle core at the base of each half so the leaves separate, and cut the leaves in half again lengthwise. Place in a large bowl. Drizzle the leaves with the vinaigrette and add the walnuts, Roquefort, and apple. Add the arugula and toss. Zest the orange into the salad with a strip zester. Peel the orange and remove the white pith around the orange with a small sharp knife. Cut the orange sections between the membranes and toss them on the salad. Discard the membranes. Sprinkle with salt and serve.
Adapted from Barefoot Contessa Foolproof: Recipes You Can Trust
featured in Seasonal Salad Fills the Tomato-Free Gap