• Preheat your waffle iron (Ellen recommends her VillaWare wafflemaker.)
• Melt the butter; reserve. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and peppers to mix. In another bowl, whisk together the milk and eggs until well blended. Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir with the whisk until just combined. Fold in the shredded cheese and melted butter.
• Lightly butter or spray the grids of your iron, if needed. Brush or spray the grids again only if subsequent waffles stick.
• Spoon out 1/2 cup of batter (or the amount recommended by your waffle’s manufacturer onto the grids, spreading it evenly with a metal spatula or wooden spoon. Close the lid and bake until the waffle is golden and set. Keep the waffles, in a single layer on a cooling rack while you make the rest of the batch.
• Serve with Ellen’s Roasted Red Bell Pepper Syrup.
Main recipe from Waffles by Dorie Greenspan. Featured in Cheese Waffles with Ellen’s Roasted Red Pepper Syrup.