New England Clam Chowder Paleo-Style
Author: The Gracious Posse
Recipe type: Soups
- 24 Virginia Little Neck clams, uncookedClam Chowder Paleo-Style © The Gracious Posse
- ½ pound nitrate-free bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 lbs turnips, cut into 2” pieces
- 1 lb cauliflower, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup bottled clam juice
- 1 t fresh thyme
- ½ cup full fat coconut milk
- coarse ground black pepper, to taste
- Scrub clams clean and add to a 3 quart saucepan. Cover with water to fill the pan halfway. Bring to a boil over medium heat. As the clams open, remove them to a new bowl. Set aside the clams and the pan of clam broth for later use.
- Add salt pork and onion to a 5 quart pot and cook over medium heat until onions are translucent and bacon begins to brown.
- Add turnips and cauliflower to the onion mixture along with the clam juice and thyme. Just cover the tops of the vegetables with the reserved clam broth, careful not to add any sediment from the bottom of the broth. If necessary, add water to complete the cover.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- While the vegetables are cooking, chop the clams into bite-sized pieces.
- After 30 minutes, remove the pot from cooktop and, with an immersion blender, combine the ingredients into a thick soup.
- Stir in the coconut milk and the chopped clams until combined and reheat the chowder on low. Add fresh black pepper to taste.
featured in Happy National Clam Chowder Day!