Officially peach season has arrived, but as a bonafide peach-a-holic, I hesitate to buy peaches early in the season because they can be mealy and difficult to pry away from the pit.
Thanks to this recipe in Relish, a publication that arrives in our newspaper, I can’t resist making a purchase as soon as the first peaches hit the market. Peach State Grilled Salad
is composed of two of Georgia’s famous crops: peaches and Vidalia onions. Just add bacon and goat cheese, and OH MY. You can’t go wrong with this salad.
The recipe is included at the bottom of this post, but essentially you slice the onions into large rounds, cut the peaches in half, remove the pit and grill. Fry the bacon. Plate fresh salad greens, top with the grilled peaches and onions, bacon and goat cheese. Lightly drizzle your favorite vinaigrette dressing on top and serve immediately.
Do-ahead tip: plate the greens, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
My first attempt at this salad was a hit, and it quickly made the leap from a tear sheet in my Gotta Try file to a Tried and True rotation in my summer menu repertoire. Now I can get maximum enjoyment from beginning to end of peach season.
- 1 large Vidalia onion, cut into thick slices
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 large peaches, halved
- 12 oz mixed greens
- 1/4 lb thick cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 4 oz goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup vinaigrette or other salad dressing
- 1. Heat grill to medium-high.
- 2. Brush onion slices with half of olive oil. Place on grill rack or in grill basket. Cook, turning occasionally, until tender, about 10 minutes. Break into rings and set aside. Brush peach halves with remaining olive oil. Place on grill orack or in grill basket. Cook, turning occasionally, until tender and carmelized, about 2 minutes. Cut each half into 4 pieces.
- Place greens in a salad bowl. Top with bacon, onion, peach slices and goat cheese. Drizzle vinaigrette on top of salad and toss well.
- Serving alternative: divide greens between plates, top with remaining ingredients and drizzle with dressing.
June 18, 2015