My daughter mBf has been wanting a decorative pillow for her room at school. Her style is eclectic, a bit different from mine, so I knew I had to stretch my creativity. Serendipity struck when I discovered a bag of vintage linens in the attic, and I immediately set about restoring them.
One of the items, a table runner, was unsalvageable as a whole item with holes and stains that wouldn’t budge. One end of it, though, was in terrific shape after my treatment (click here for more), and it was the perfect size to fit a boudoir pillow if cut. Also in my stash of fabric was an old laundry bag I had made for the girls to use at camp. Its useful days are long gone, but the pinpoint oxford cloth was begging to be used again.
Shown above is the ugly end of the table runner and the laundry bag.
The first, and most painful, step was to cut the good end of the runner off. Once over that, I placed it on top of the right side of the fabric and stitched it in place at the the top of the pillow.
Next I laid the back piece on top of the front, right sides facing each other, and stitched the two together across the top. Shown below is where I trimmed the border away to make an even border to stitch.
The trickiest part of the project was stitching the sides. I measured each side down to where the border came in on the side, making sure each side would have the same length seam. At the point where I wanted the border seam to stop, I pulled the border inward and continued the side seam, making sure the border remained loose.
The last sewing machine step was to stitch the bottom of the pillow two inches from each side edge before turning the pillow right side out and pressing. I then inserted the pillow form and hand-stitched the bottom seam closed.
Another project from the never-ending “want-to-do” list accomplished. I can’t wait to see this up-cycled pillow on mBf‘s bed when I see her this weekend!
September 19, 2013